1/12/2010

Early Bird

Today was the first meeting of art class. This is more than just a look at art, art appreciation, or anything like that. The art that is required for my Elementary degree is actually an art class. Today, when I walked in, she asked us to take a piece or paper, a green, red, and brown crayon, and have a seat. As others filled the room, she asked us to simply draw an apple. An apple...that's it?? So I did....and boy was it funny! Then she makes it worse, she tells us to tape them to the wall. I thought, "Are you trying to embarrass us on our drawing skills??" She actually liked them. Then she goes to the supply room, and brings boxes or paints, yarn, ribbon, markers, and pencils. She then asks us to draw another apple. I have never looked at art the way she asked us to see it today. The point of the lesson was, look at the difference of a piece where there are limitations (crayons), and the difference in a piece that has no limits (yarn, markers, paint). There is far more detail, and in many ways. It was cool to see the difference.

We have lots to do for this class. A lot of artistic things to do. Which is kind of fun, but knowing that I am not going to have to time to have art time in my classroom makes me not even want to take this class. The only way we will be able to have art time for children is to back down on the reading and math. It is amazing at how different classrooms are, the requirements are, in schools now than when I was in school. I remember in Kindergarten, all we did pretty much was artistic things. Now, they have to know how to read by the end of Kindergarten. Crazy.

The ice is finally gone!! For now anyways. The temperatures are back to winter comfortable instead of winter too cold. Haha. It is only going to get better as the week goes on. I rented some movies for this weekend. I have "(500) Days of Summer" and "What About Steve." I hope they are good. I don't know what the weekend holds yet, and I don't even know if I will watch them. Thank goodness for Power Play at Movie Gallery.....They are due back whenever!

No comments: