1/14/2012

Internship (Week 1)

Since this is an important step in my life and upcoming career, I want to be able to look back and read about the ups and downs of this experience. My plan is to talk about what happens at the end of each week. I hope I can keep up with it!! I'm not good at blogging on a regular basis, but I'm hoping that will change.

Monday began my first full week of student teaching. Of course, I didn't jump right in and take over the room. We decided for the first week, I would take over morning duties which consisted of getting notes, homework, and any lunch money and what not. The kids automatically accepted this, and our student-teacher relationship has grown tremendously from it.

By midweek, I started reading with them from their Basil readers. They ask me for permission to do things. Then, they started asking me for help with their Math work. They have adjusted to me being in their "space" quicker than I imagined. I love seeing that because I didn't want them to not like me! They come up to me to randomly say "hello" and some have started giving me hugs when they leave. It's so sweet!!

I am in 2nd grade. There are 15 students in the classroom. One is an ELL student that is getting ready to be tested for Autism. This is an amazing experience for me because when I was in Elementary school, I never had a special needs classmate. Last semester during field experience, I was able to be with an Autistic student. I learned more that semester than any other. I think they are amazing kids, and I can't wait to spend more classroom time with him. I know he will teach me a lot!

1 comment:

britts busy days said...

So proud of you! Can't wait to follow this last step!